Thread: 5.0 Glyphs

5.0 Glyphs

As an elemental shaman I am greatly disturbed by what I am seeing in the proposed glyphs. Specifically: No Lightning Bolt. Existing glyphs are severely gimped. Nothing new for elemental.

It may be true that I am not counting possible talents, which are yet to be released, but I am not seeing the same type of baseline gimps to needed glyphs in other classes.

It is as if Blizzard is trying to intentionally force people into playing restoration spec if they want to continue leveling their shaman characters.

Thoughts?

-Glyph of Capacitor Totem - Reduces the charging time of your Capacitor Totem by (2000/-1000) sec.

-Glyph of Chaining (NYI) - Doubles the jump distance of your Chain Heal spell, but reduces its healing done by 15%.

-Glyph of Cleansing Waters - When you dispel a harmful Magic or Curse effect from an ally, you also heal the target for 4% of your maximum health.

-Glyph of Earth Shield - Your Earth Shield charges are no longer depleted when taking damage, but Earth Shield's duration is reduced to 45 sec.

-Glyph of Feral Spirit - Increases the healing done by your Feral Spirits' Spirit Hunt by 40%.

-Glyph of Fire Elemental Totem - Reduces the cooldown and duration of your Fire Elemental Totem by 40%.

-Glyph of Flame Shock - Increases the duration of your Flame Shock by 25%, but reduces the initial damage dealt by 25%.

-Glyph of Ghost Wolf - While in Ghost Wolf form, you are less hindered by effects that would reduce movement speed.

-Glyph of Healing Storm - Each application of Maelstrom Weapon also increases your healing done by 20%.

-Glyph of Healing Stream Totem - When your Healing Stream Totem heals an ally, it also reduces their Fire, Frost, and Nature damage taken by 10% for 6 sec.

-Glyph of Lava Burst - Your Lava Burst spell will always be a critical strike regardless of the presence of Flame Shock on the target, but it deals 5% less damage.

-Glyph of Lava Lash - Your Lava Lash ability no longer spreads Flame Shock to nearby targets.

-Glyph of Riptide - Your Riptide no longer has a cooldown, but also no longer instantly heals the targeted ally.

-Glyph of Spiritwalker's Grace - Increases the duration of your Spiritwalker's Grace by 5 sec.

-Glyph of Telluric Currents - Reduces the damage dealt by your Lightning Bolt spell by 30%, but causes it to restore mana equal to 50% of damage dealt.

-Glyph of Totemic Vigor - Increases the health of your totems by 10% of your maximum health.

-Glyph of Unleashed Lightning - Your Lightning Bolt takes 5% longer to cast, but may be cast while moving.

-Glyph of Water Shield - Increases the passive mana generation of your Water Shield by 10%, but Water Shield no longer activates when you receive damage.

-Glyph of Wind Shear - Increases the school lockout duration of Wind Shear by 1 sec, but also increases the cooldown by 3 sec.

-Glyph of Totemic Encirclement - When you cast a totem spell, you also place unempowered totems for any elements that are not currently active. These totems have 5 health and produce no other effects.

Character
    Haarne
    Guild
    Thunder Billies
    Server
    Deathwing
    Region
    US
    I don't think it is a problem that there are no "spell Y does X% more damage" glyphs. They can just include that sort of thing in the base spell since that was the sort of glyph everyone had to take anyway.

However, I do feel pretty irritated that they gave a downside to every glyph we might even consider using. It's very possible that there are more glyphs to come, but of those choices the only thing I would probably use would be the Flame Shock glyph, since at least it would still be a dps boost, which isn't something I'm so sure about for the others.

I really dislike the idea of having to gimp our dps at all times just to cast lightning bolt while moving. It might make sense to increase the cast time only when moving, however. I think that warlocks were going to get something like that at one time, but I don't know if that is still the case. I think it was something like Drain Life (or maybe Drain Soul) doesn't get interrupted by movement, but the cast time doubles when you move.

Noticeably missing so far is a glyph to keep at least 3 lightning shield charges at all times. Hopefully, that gets put into our baseline abilities if they are removing the glyph. Edit: The lightning shield glyph just hasn't changed, which is why it wasn't on that list.
    Last edited by Haarne; 24-03-2012 at 12:00 AM.

I'm not too excited for these glyphs either, but as a first hour Annual Pass buyer and Vanilla account holder, hopefully I can get into the beta soon and sample them.

Prime glyphs, which are the ones that were straight buffs, have been removed. They have, for the most part, had their effects baked into the baseline ability; an easy one to see is Flame Shock's baseline duration being buffed to 24 seconds to make up for the loss of Glyph of Flame Shock.

The ones that got repurposed as Major Glyphs all had new/different mechanics added, and are all tradeoffs, because Major glyphs are usually tradeoffs. See the original Glyph of Chain Lightning; reduced initial damage, but two extra jumps. There's some sacrifice for the benefit. All the new Majors follow that same pattern. That isn't a design issue, it's a factor of them all becoming Majors.

We still only get three Major glyphs. That there's a lot of choices with situational value is a good thing. It promotes a lot of swapping around on a fight-by-fight basis.