My first try at Enh Raiding (T13)
Last night was our first night. Everyone in the raid is getting to know each other, so I didn't even bother to run any logs or Recount.
That all being said, I had a lot of fun(!) and didn't feel like I was the weak link on the team. This is my first time raiding as melee so I'm still getting used to the hectic nature of boss crotch.
So a few questions:
1) Right now I'm using a small brew of TMW + ShockAndAwe to help me monitor cooldowns/prio. Are there any other addons you'd recommend? (I have DBM and I've shut off POWA due to it being such a resource hog for me)
2) I'm still digesting the supremely excellent Enh DS guide over at EJ. I love the breakdown for each fight. I'm also aware of fight mechanics thanks to L2R vids and LFR runs. Are there any Enh-specific vids I should look into?
3) Any general tips/strats? I've only ever raided seriously as a Hunter before this. I'm trying to work on my SA, but I find myself getting lost sometimes due to the small character model [I don't want to race change though; I *really* like the Goblin models!]. Any sorts of tips regarding making sure I'm behind the boss or otherwise not causing the healers so much strife?
If anyone is interested, the character is Wrizzik on Kul-Tiras (H). Yes, I'm still catching up on gear and I'm still not capped on Hit or Exp. I've been using Reforgenator to help me with that, with a little bit of AskMrRobot thrown in.
Last edited by Mugsley; 28-02-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Hit stuff with your offhand.
Hola Mugsley. As an experienced Enhancement raider, I'd just like to say that it's the best spec ever.
1) ShockAndAwe is *okay* if you're just getting familiar with the spec, but once you feel comfortable with your priorities, you'll want to ditch it. You will end up knowing your cooldowns and maelstrom procs better than the addon, and it will actually gimp your dps if you follow its suggestions exactly.
2) Knowing your maelstrom stacks is key. With 2pc T13, it's better to cast a lightning bolt at 1 MW, than wait for ~1.5s for something to come off cd. More LBs instead of just 1.5s of white damage/ft = MOAR DEEPS. I personally use the addon Hearkitty. It plays a sound each time you get a stack (or a CP or holy power or w/e other similar mechanics you can think of) that corresponds to how many you have. If you have game sound disabled then it does you no good :'(
3) Searing totem is still dumber than rocks. Make sure you have a flame shock on the target you want it attacking. I've had times where I redropped it in the middle of a fight and it didn't attack ANYTHING.
I trust you're using the recommended priority over at EJ or on simcraft, and mastering that is key. Maelstroms are the hardest part to be good at.
Thanks for the reply, Sham! I need to start checking back here more regularly. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself! I'm slowly climbing up the gear ladder as we progress. I made a big leap last week when Hagara finally dropped a Shoulder token we could use.
1) I'm starting to get that feeling. I enjoy a heavy use of TellMeWhen, so I may be able to ditch Shock in the near future. I feel it's all tweaking at this point. I'm still weak on my AOE setup/rotations, but those situations are very rare and I think they will come with time (Nova on cooldown, CL on Mael procs, AOE fire totem only when more than 3 mobs).
2) Good to know. I just got 2p T13 so I will start throwing more LBs in. I'll set up TMW to better monitor my MW procs. Just using the Shock UI to keep an eye on them currently. I also want to start throwing LBs at 4 MW when Spirits are up; and I think I can set that up with a few conditionals in TMW. I will definitely give Hearkitty a shot and see how I like it. I play with game sound on, but it's generally low.
3) Ah, our favorite little retard. I still redrop the damn thing regularly to make sure it's doing *something*. I swear on fights like Spine, half the time I think an AOE totem would be better.......
Any preliminary info on how Enh is shaping up in MoP beta? How about glyphs? I haven't gotten a chance to really dig into the data yet.
One thing I'll toss in on the AoE idea. As you progress into H Modes esp, you'll want ask yourself, "What is the most important damage I am doing?" I say this because our AOE isn't the greatest in terms of getting it out quickly, so that comes into play mainly on H Yor'saj. I've found that it is better for me to keep ST down rather than swap to MT in add phases. While I do help out more on killing the adds with MT down, I'm not getting as much effective DPS on the boss as I would with ST stacking, so overall it's a loss to the raid. On that fight all I use for AoE is FN on CD and CL on procs. While I'm not generating quite as much AoE personally, I'm contributing more to beating the enrage timer, which is more important. However, that may be different for your comp if you don't have other strong AoE classes backing you up. The other thing i've noticed about that fight is that since those adds have a crazy threat table, half the time they kill my MT after just a few ticks, so I end up with GCD loss having to replace the damn totem all the time.
Originally Posted by Mugsley
Just a thought.
I strongly disagree that our AoE is slow. I consistently top dps charts in my guild against hunters, frost dks, and an ele shaman. The key to an aoe intensive fight is to swap glyph of windfury with glyph of flame shock. The longer flame shock duration allows you to get stronger fire novas because you can get about 3 cleaves of a full duration FS, allowing up to 13 (if my math is right) active FS which will give 13x12 hits of fire nova total, 12 of which could be on the boss (typically this many adds will never be up at the same time, but black + yellow allows for fun things to happen). I typically use a rotation about like this for yorsajh black phase (heroic but same idea):
unleash, flame shock, magma totem, lava lash (by now the adds should be within flame shock cleave range), fire nova, stormstrike, earth shock, unleash, fire nova, (with CL thrown in whenever i get a full stack) and continue with a priority of
flame shock (if its about to fall off as they keep the duration when they are cleaved. if its falling off 1 target, its falling off all of them.)
fire nova (if FS has been cleaved)
lava lash (if you need to cleave FS)
CL on mw4-5
CL on mw 1+
Using unleash on the 2nd nova allows for a lot more flame shocks to be active because of a 2nd cleave. Depending on how long you black phase lasts it may be better for you to use the unleash for the first one, then every other after that. You'll get used to the cooldown and such after doing it for a while and find what works best for you.
In regards to the strange aggro tables on the adds, they attack whoever is currently doing the most damage to them. If you have a weak aoe group, you'll notice yourself taking a lot more damage than others, whereas a strong aoe group the damage will be more even between the players.
For more info on yor'sajh aoe, there's a good post about it here: http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t127825-enhancement_dragon_soul_raiding_hints_tips/#Yor’Sahj_the_Unsleeping
Unfortunately I haven't gotten a beta invite yet *crosses fingers*, but I'll get back to you on it as soon as I can
Originally Posted by Mugsley
Quick one thing, I'm seeing in Beta. With concentrations of mobs, you will probably want to use Glyph of Lava Lash while leveling to turn off the FS spread. I was pulling extra and dying a lot initially, until I changed to that glyph.
Bit of an update: I've now become fully comfortable with the way Enhance works. The biggest hurdle for me was making the transition from ranged to melee, since I had played a Hunter forever, then started the Shaman initially as Ele (as soon as I moved the camera to look more overhead than "over shoulder", I was off to the races). Now, I've become comfortable enough that I'm top-3 in every fight our 10man does; and I'm regularly raping the meters on LFR (trying to get the Spine trinket). I'm short one Madness axe and the Spine trinket from a full normal-mode BiS setup.
Our raid has decided to stay in Normal modes, with occasional forays into Heroic to see if we can handle it. Right now, we'd rather start rotating through friends and alts for the raid experience than worry about gearing ourselves out (blah blah irrelevant gear soon blah blah).
I've fallen in love the most with the initial burst DPS that Enhance can throw out. Between that and the additional utility that I feel Enhance has over, say, a Hunter and I've already decided that I'll be raiding as Enhance in MoP. I'm starting to tweak my playstyle for the boss fights, just so I can get more used to the class and the options I have available. My next step is to look into swapping glyphs for some fights and see how they affect my output.
This all being said, I'm also leveling a Prot Warrior as my first ever tank, and I've been persuaded to give healing a try on the Shaman in the near future. This was partially motivated by the fact I picked up 3 T13 tokens on our last DS run (gloves, shoulders, helm) along with a caster belt. I still have my T11 Ele gear, along with the VP and JP I have doing absolutely nothing. This will allow me to help fill any role going forward in MoP.