Elemental Glyphs Part Two
by, 17-10-2012 at 10:15 PM (15053 Views)
A while ago I wrote a big post on Elemental Glyphs but now that Mists has been out for a few weeks I thought I'd revisit the topic.
My standard glyph setup is now Chain Lightning, Flame Shock and Unleashed Lightning. Flame Shock is a mandatory glyph no matter what (for PvE in any case), Unleashed Lightning changes our rather low mobile DPS into something pretty amazing, and Chain Lightning is more of a convenience factor so I can AoE when required.
Of the remaining glyphs, you could potentially swap in Telluric Currents or Thunder for Chain Lightning on fights like Stone Guard where you can abuse Chain Lightning for extra damage, but for me I find this gain a bit minimal (especially as I have "acquired" the job of calling tank swaps & watching the energy bars).
You could also swap out Chain Lightning for Fire Elemental Totem, but the lower effective uptime of your Fire Elemental is greater than the gain from synchronising Ascendance with trinkets like Flashfrozen Resin Globule.
Unstable Earth, on the other hand, has not been used once, and I'm not sure if I'll ever use it.
There are a number of other glyphs we could use, but they all have very specific uses for utility based spells.
- Capacitor Totem will make no difference if you know what you're doing & co-ordinate well
- Frost Shock will only ever be useful for kiting (and to be honest, if you're not kiting through slows like Frost Trap or Earthbind Totem, you're probably doing it wrong)
- Ghost Wolf is primarily PvP
- Healing Stream Totem could possibly be useful on high damage fights in a supporting role, although you'd be better of running a Conductivity setup in that situation
- Hex shouldn't really be required (although in Challenge Modes it might be useful)
- Purge is another PvP glyph, as there's hardly ever more than one buff to dispell off a target
- Spiritwalker's Grace is a poor substitute for Unleashed Lightning
- Totemic Recall is fairly redundant as most totems will expire naturally (especially with different timers on them) and Elemental shouldn't have mana issues either
- Totemic Vigor is again a PvP glyph, as it's rare to have totems targeted in PvE
- Wind Shear is a bit of an odd one. It makes our interrupt behave the same way as most melee interrupts do, rather than having slightly shorter lockouts & cooldowns. Still, it would be a very situational glyph.
I guess in a way, the merging of Prime and Major glyphs hasn't been quite so smooth. Some classes (Druids, for instance) seem to have a lot of what would be considered Major glyphs in the Cataclysm days, while others like Elemental Shaman & Mages have a mix of Prime and Majors.
The solution would be to merge those "required" glyphs into the base spell, which for Elemental would be Chain Lightning, Flame Shock, and probably Wind Shear as well. Fire Elemental Totem would be more fun/useful as a cooldown removal for both Earth & Fire Elementals while also reducing their damage by 60-65% (keeps the Fire Totem damage roughly the same as without the glyph).
Then we could do fun things with utility glyphs. Fun things! Not "I have to AoE so I'm glyphing CL". I also think that Unleashed Lightning makes mobile DPS too easy for us, and a glyph to make Spiritwalker's Grace toggleable but with a larger cast time or damage/healing penalty would be nice, so that movement isn't "I'm jumping around casting Lightning Bolts. What are you doing?"
Total Trackbacks 0