View RSS Feed

Blogenstein

Modeling Stat Weight Changes

Rate this Entry
Hi guys, I'm back.

Yes, I re-subbed recently, have found a new raiding guild to call home, and of course have a little mathy side project going. However, I don't have as much time as I'd like, which means getting the initial draft out for public viewing is taking some time. Rather than wait I figure I'll share what I'm working on here and see what others think.

One of the things Iíve always thought about was working out stat ďinflection pointsĒ, ie: where one stat becomes more valuable than another. Generally this is when a red gem becomes worth less than a yellow gem, which usually happens in the middle of every expansion.

Part of the problem for finding this is that at the moment we only get static stat weights for a particular gear set, and it takes a lot of trial and error to get some of the information that Iíve previously posted about. In an effort to get some more useful information on this Iíve gone back to my modeling spreadsheet roots, and have started looking at each spell individually, working out stat weights & changes from there, and then merging everything together later.

There are the usual flaws with models, in that you have to assume every percentage based event will happen exactly that often, which leads to some slightly complicated formulae, and Iím not going to be using things like trinket procs and cooldowns either. This doesnít mean we canít use it for general information purposes though.

So far Iíve got the base stuff done, and have worked out some of the stat interactions for Lightning Bolt. Examples:

Spellpower has a gain of 2.2140 dps per point, but also increases the value of Haste by 0.00004, Crit by 0.000047 and Mastery by 0.00038. Similarly, Haste increases by 1.4760 per point, the value of Spellpower by 0.00040, and Crit by 0.00156 (Iíve yet to do the mastery calculations),

As you can see, Spellpower has a minor increase from secondary stats, and has the same minor influence back. Secondary stats, on the other hand, affect each other about three times as much as Spellpower does.
This matches with what we observe, where Intellect is most important to start with, and then thereís a switch mid expansion to secondary stats as the total amount of secondary stats increase.

Once Iíve got all of this data modeled for the individual spells Iíll estimate the total damage and then use this damage proportion to add the individual weights together. The resulting information should show us a better picture of stat interactions and give a better answer to those ďhow much X should I stack before going for Y?Ē.

Submit "Modeling Stat Weight Changes" to Google

Updated 12-02-2014 at 10:42 PM by Binkenstein

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Welcome back Binkenstein! Looking forward to more posts!
    Good to have you back!
    Welcome back Bink.
    Welcome back! So excited to see you around again!
    Welcome back! It's good to have you back, i'll look forward to a pleasant read
Leave Comment Leave Comment

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: